Conservation Program Coordinator
Start Date: July 2017
Duration: 6-12 months (a shorter time period may also be considered)
Certificate Provided: Yes
Preparatory Course: No
Location: GDh. Hoandedhdhoo, Maldives
No programme fee for intern staying more than 6 months. The positions is unpaid but we offer you accommodation, visa, medical insurance, domestic transport and 3 meals per day.
About the programme
All forms of marine life surrounding our islands are a valuable asset needing nurturing, care and devotion. Our marine conservation coordinator is responsible for running our marine conservation programme in an effective manner which includes activities such as spreading environmental awareness to the community, organising local reef health checks and also managing the international volunteers who participate in the programme. As these tasks require a considerable commitment, the management team will choose the best candidate who is able to fulfil all the requirements of the project. We surely welcome different volunteers from around the world willing to share their knowledge and expertise.
Tasks and responsibilities
The intern will lead the Marine conservation programme with the following major responsibilities:
- Cleaning coral reefs, coral gardening and monitoring its health
- Replantation mangroves and monitoring them
- Expanding marine conservation programme
- Conduct environmental education program in collaboration with nearby resorts.
- Spreading environmental awareness of protecting coral reefs, turtles and mangroves by conducting ongoing campaigns, workshops and seminars
- Work as International Volunteer Coordinator by organizing international and local volunteers, planning and organizing trips for volunteers and managing social media and online promotion on-going events.
- Conduct English Language classes for small kids depending on the time available.
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English
- Background in conservation (e.g. previous work experience, educational certificates)
- Experience in working on developing of tropical countries is preferred
- Passion for conservation
- Easy going and open-minded personality
- Friendly towards various cultures
- Ability to work both in a team and independently
- Be a confident swimmer with experience of the ocean; SCUBA certification preferred
- Minimum 6-month commitment is preferred
Your gain, our goal
We will guarantee you a lifetime experience of interning and you will be able to gain knowledge and have fun at the same time. You will gain a unique opportunity to aid our community in developmental projects. Your expertise and skill will enhance the community and the working environment. Excitement and experience, all in one place!
By helping in building our community you will become part of our family. You will receive our warmest gratitude and gain experience for a lifetime.
No salary is given during this internship, and you will fund your own international flights to/from the Maldives. The following are included in the Intern Package:
- Return transfers between the project location and Malé.
- Visa and medical insurance as per requirement of Maldives Emigration
- Shared accommodation with other same-sex intern/volunteers.
- Three meals per day + tea breaks; working hours are 09:00 – 18:00 (with occasional late evenings).
- One day off per week (with complementary excursion when available).
Time for fun
You will enjoy the ultimate island fun!
We will make sure that full care and support is given to you by our members. Regular trips at parks and islands will be our main focus. It won’t just be about the work – it’s a tropical island, there’s a lot of fun to be had.
Email your CV and a cover letter to: Executive Director – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include in your application:
- CV + cover letter as PDF file/s, with your name in the filename of email attachment/s; contact details for two referees;
- Your preferred months for the 6 to 12 months placement period
- The role you are applying for: “Internship”; how you found out about our Internship
Due to the high volume of applications, candidates that fail to follow these instructions may not be considered for the position. Furthermore, only applicants selected for interview will be contacted, so if you do not hear from us within two months of your submission, please assume you have not been successful on this occasion. Note that we may add your email address to our mailing list, to receive news and future career opportunities (you may opt out any time).