Why Should I Volunteer In The Maldives
Swimming and Snorkeling
With temperatures lingering often around 30°C and humidity often surpassing the 80% mark, even murky water would look tempting… But here in the Maldives our pristine oceans are one of our proudest and most beautiful assets. Azure-blue, crystal clear water and coral reefs teeming with fish visible just below the surface of the water are trademarks of our nation. It is undeniably tempting to plunge into the ocean on a daily basis. We offer some of the best snorkeling in the world – for free! Simply grab some flippers and a mask and you’re set to go, simply step off the edge of the island. Our volunteers will be more than willing to take you snorkeling whenever you wish to.
The fish are plentiful and wondrous here in the Maldives, and when snorkeling you will frequently find yourself staring face to face with rare tropical species or ensconced within a school of fish. The reefs themselves are beautiful, and truly are a wonder of nature. They are not only home to myriad species of fish, but also to starfish, clams, sea cucumbers and many others. Turtles have also been known to be spotted swimming lazily around the interior of the atoll!
A number of our volunteers own their own boats, and most of those have a passion for fishing! Fishing, besides making up a large percentage of the country’s economy, is a favourite past-time of many of the inhabitants. Locals and volunteers alike will offer to take you fishing whenever you wish, and fishing in the beautiful waters surrounding our island, catching such a wide variety of exotic fish, is the experience of a life time! Night-time fishing in particular, is an opportunity not to be missed.
Any fish caught can also be prepared and eaten locally, with evening beach barbeques almost as common as the fishing trips that precede them!
Once a week, Island Volunteer will arrange a group trip to one of the many nearby uninhabited islands. Picnics on such islands are great fun, and offer volunteers an opportunity to explore, sunbathe and relax in a tropical paradise.
Barbeques on an uninhabited beach, with a few good friends, are truly one of the greatest things the Maldives have to offer. The idea of exploring a completely wild island should also appeal to the adventurous side of our volunteers!
We offer several incredible opportunities to try and make our volunteers stays as memorable as possible. These range from cost-inclusive excursions to career-enhancing workshops.
- Weekly “desert-island excursions” – A real desert island experience! We drop you and the other volunteers (and local guides) off on an uninhabited island in the morning and leave you there all day! We provide everything you will need, including food, drink, sunblock, chairs, umbrellas and sports and snorkelling equipment to make this the perfect day out.
- Tours around the atoll – Most islands in the Maldives are unique and are host to different customs and sights to see. We offer trips which can visit several of these islands over the course of a few days. This really does give you a better view of what the Maldives is really like.
- Ship-wreck dive – As well as regular scuba diving which can be provided upon request, we also offer an excursion to a nearby shipwreck! A not-to-be-missed experience, this is something you will remember for the rest of your life. Has to be requested during the application process.
- Night-snorkelling – Feel like an olden-days explorer by taking a trip snorkelling during the night. It’s an amazing feeling swimming in a warm sea at night with just a torch and a few friends for company. The marine life at night is spectacular, expect to see turtles, reef sharks and hundreds of different species of brightly coloured fish! And if you’re lucky, maybe even a dolphin!
- Surfing – Some of the best surf breaks in the world are located in the Maldives, and also don’t miss the opportunity to go surfing on the equator! Many of the locals are excellent surfers and will be more than happy to show you the ropes.
- Language – ‘Dhivehi’, the national language of the Maldives can be taught to volunteers here and provides an interesting past-time which well help improve your relations with locals.
- Professional development – We can help aid your career development by providing training sessions and workshops in a variety of different areas. From Project Cycle Management to Human Rights, we can make a real addition to your CV on top of your volunteering placement.